Sunday, February 26, 2017

Unit Summary: Finishes

Hello, everyone! It's about that time again for a unit summary; this time, it'll be over finishes and how it connects back to experience. Accompanying my explanation, I'll be including an image of my roommate working at her Starbucks over on Versailles.
   Something I learned in this past unit is that the finishes of the materials in a space thoroughly effect the overall experience that someone has. For instance, if you were in a formal location but it appeared to be a casual place because of the rough and basic finishes, the incorrect feelings would be experienced; the same thing would happen if it were vice versa. Something a designer has to figure out is how the space needs to "feel" to then choose what finishes to apply to the location.
   A really good example of a casual space that I've personally experienced on multiple occasions would be the Starbucks over on Versailles Road where my roommate/best friend lives. When I first observed the space, I noticed that there was a combination of matte and shine surfaces, as well as a variety of nature-based colors with low warm lighting. These finishes work for this space because they're not all clean-cut like you'd see in a formal place; you definitely get a coffee shop feel out of the location. When hanging out in this Starbucks, you can definitely feel a positive vibe from not only the appearance of the space, but also the people who spend their time there.

Below are a couple of images of the Starbucks I just described.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment