Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Unit 10 Summary

Hello, everyone! Today's post is going to be the last of the semester, which is super exciting! I'll be discussing the themes we learned, how they connect together and to interior design, and what I was able to take away from this course.
The main themes discussed during this semester were experience, finishes, furnishings, representation, and theories. Similar to last semester's themes, these themes play a huge part in what makes up an interior environment. As a quick background, I'm going to explain each one as I understand them: experience is how a space causes someone to feel and how they interact with the space; finishes involves the outer-most layer of materials and deals with being shine/matte/etc.; furnishings revolves around the objects that take up the space such as chairs, tables, etc.; representation is the portrayal of a specific idea or message based on what the client wants to display; the theories are different ideas that designers have come up with for why specific things work with designs and why other don't. If you were to look back through my most recent posts, you'd actually be able to read a few that discussed the themes that we learned about throughout this whole year.
When I think about the themes we've learned, I can't help but see their connections to interior design as a whole. Each one has a significant meaning and is separate from every other one, but they're all forms of analysis for describing an interior environment. Every place we were asked to go to or to research, I found myself using these themes to make a clear synopsis of what the ideas and thoughts were when creating them. For example, when I attended the Christ Catholic Church downtown, I realized that I was using the themes from last semester (since my visit to the church was right at the start of this semester) to make a clear idea of why it was built the way it is and how it makes people feel when the visit. I used these themes to help me understand my case study location (High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia). After everything we've learned this semester, I understand my case study building so much more and I'm looking forward to more case studies like it.
Last but not least, these themes have seriously effected my way of not only looking at design, but looking at the world. I look at everything from a new perspective and I'm growing to understand design a little bit more. I have the ability to give a better analysis now in comparison to how I was at the start of the year in August. I'm very proud of myself, but I know there's still plenty more to learn. I'm excited to learn more and to improve my skills in design. I hope that these new skills will help me in my future career in Stage/Set Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment