Monday, May 1, 2017

Putting It Together 3

Hello, again! Time for the last part to this series of posts. These posts have helped me to realize just how much I've learned and what I've accomplished in this course. Now without anymore delay, I'm going to continue!
Inspirations From Art: Going based off of the name of this theme, I would say it's taking the inspiration from art and what's being portrayed in art to then create an entire interior space. After watching the lectures for this assignment, I found out that this theme connects a lot with modernism and that art has gradually become more and more important in design. We've named design eras after art (Arts & Crafts, Art Deco, etc), so it's obviously been a large part of design for both interiors and architecture. This is something that's constantly visible nowadays, especially with how popular abstracted spaces can be (the same goes for abstracted art).
The only direct example I can currently think of is the artwork that Zaha Hadid did. She was famous for her architecture, fashion, and artwork; after doing some research on her, I found that she drew a lot of her inspiration for her structures and buildings from her artwork. This was a very important factor for me whenever I was completing my projects for Studio because it was where she drew her inspiration, and I had to draw MY inspiration from her. While this theme seems more in the direction of designers creating spaces based on art produced my separate people (not themselves), this was the absolute closest I could get in order for me to still understand what I'm talking about.
Good Design for All: Thinking off the top of my head, I feel like this theme is about functionality and how it effects the people who use it and are available to its resources. Another idea of what it could be is that it's what any designer does in order to continue showing the same ideas that they've been displaying for the world to see. In the lecture, several designers are given as examples, so I'm just going to use one of them for my main example.
Frank Lloyd Wright has been a very common name that I've learned while in the Interior Design major. One of the main creations he's had is Falling Water. This piece, in my eyes, is very inventive, fresh, and new even when given the sense of modernism. I've very revolutionary and it pushes the limits of what we know design is and has been. I believe that this is what we have to think about when discussing what "good design for all" really means. I guess it generally could mean multiple things, but this is just what I believe it means.
The Rise of the Interior: This theme is about the origin of interiors. Thinking back to past lectures, I remember lightly discussing the groups of women who let a movement in design. Although, I don't know much about them and their history, I do know that one big factor that came into play during this time (and ever, really) is that interior design isn't looked at for what it is. It's often mistaken for interior decorating, which deals with the arrangement of furniture to make a space "pretty." Interior design is the application of material in a space to solve a problem, which often deals with the functionality of the space.
An example that I have is an image of an interior space created by Elsie de Wolfe. She was a part of the First Ladies of Decorating (yes, I know, I know; what did I just say about this, right?), which was an organization that helped bring to light the exploration of interior design. I think it's really interesting how they put so much work into this chapter of design and made it what it is today.
Reactions to Modernism: This theme is kind of just how people feel about interior design and what actions designers take in response to the modern buildings and spaces. For the most part, this theme seems really basic and understandable. While watching the lecture, I saw that there are different types of reactions to modernism: brutalism, tectonic, and other sources (inspirational, it seems), roots, extensions, etc. This theme revolves around both historic preservation and new production of modern buildings.
An example of this theme is the Sydney Opera House. This building is directly correlated with the tectonic reaction to modernism with its sharp corners and narrowed edges. This design pushes the limits of modernism and is completely its own. The use of many modern materials adds to the idea of innovation and looking to the future of design; it's design style (aside from being modern) is still unseen in any other structure or building.
Beyond Modernism: Last but not least, this theme revolves around looking past modernism to understand other design styles and types, and figuring out a way to create even more buildings and spaces. After watching the lecture, I found that materials and sustainability are very important factors that need to be taken into account when looking past modernism.
An example of this theme is the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center by Zaha Hadid. This building is very modern and falls under the expanded modes and materials category. During the lecture, this design was described as being inspired by the workings of a computer since that's how it could even be created; this is visibly displayed based on the pixelated appearance and the placement of light fixtures within the panels on the facade.


No comments:

Post a Comment